Saturday, July 6, 2013

Register the Copyright

Not too long ago I wrote a short article that can be found here that spoke to the subject of how the photographer Yunghi Kim protects her images from theft.  Within the past few days I read a PetaPixel post here and an article at The New York Observer here that discussed lawsuits that were filed against those who were alleged to have used images without permission and without compensation.

These stories are a reminder to me to be diligent with my own photographic work.  Some time in the future I will write about how photographers can try to keep track of their images on the internet.  

I don't know the specifics of copyright or fair use laws in other countries, but I do have a bit of knowledge of such laws from my home country, the USA.  As soon as something is created the copyright belongs to the creator (I'm not talking about those who work in the large corporate structure...they have given up most of their life and rights, including most things that they created for the monstrosity).  In order for a creator to claim fairly significant monetary damages, then the work must be registered with the United States Copyright Office.

To register photographs at the United States Copyright Office, visit the official website here.  A photographer will appreciate the reduced cost, and the reduced amount of time needed to register an image by filing online.  It is important to read everything at that USCO site; it reduces the potential mistakes that can be made when filing.  

Here in South Korea, Steve Miller, also known as the QiRanger, had a personal experience with copyright issues with his own work.  He has a fantastic vlog over at Youtube; listen to what he had to say about his experience with this issue:  Korean Broad Fair Use Laws.

Yes, I know it's easy to take while on the internet, but that doesn't mean an artist has to lose in the process..





No comments:

Post a Comment