Monday, July 1, 2013

Be Used or Be Paid

I am very grateful to those who visit this blog.  Regular visitors will recall my posts about Jason Teale and his photographic work.  He was the very first artist I featured for my ongoing project to interview those whose art and work touches me and moves me emotionally; read it here.  I also wrote about Jason being the Walk Leader in Ulsan during the 2012 Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk; read it here.  He is involved in other endeavors that can be found and read on his website and blog, as well as his Facebook and Google+ pages.

He is developing and building his reputation and credentials, not just here in South Korea, but internationally, too.  It is a slow and tedious process in the art world, and in the world of photography.

Over at his blog, The Sajin, Jason has written an informative article about how a photographer should be paid for his or her work as opposed to giving it away to a business or an organization.  I made this comment about his article:

"The restaurant across the street doesn’t give away its meals for credit or exposure. I guess there are enough amateur photographers out there who gladly give it up for nothing, and that is just bad business especially if the work is done well."

Read Jason Teale's blog post about getting paid as a photographer here.

Speaking to the specific and unique issues surrounding those who have E-2 visas in South Korea, I let it be known that I was a photographer when I taught at an institution.  The power-that-was was fine with my other venture, because it didn't conflict with the teaching job.  I really don't know how other E-2 visa holders handle this issue with their sponsors and bosses.  I imagine the rest of the world doesn't have to worry about such nonsense.



No comments:

Post a Comment