Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Winter Kimchi - 김장

This past weekend my wife and I were invited by friends to join them on a family farm located in 경상도.  We had the good fortune to observe the annual ritual of relatives and friends making winter kimchi.

When I create my own work, I care very much about the process and the final result.  When I observe others creating, I am most interested in the process.  In other words, I want to know what is happening behind the scenes.

There is a lot of community work involved in the making of winter kimchi, or 김장.  Each family has its own special way of doing things, and its own recipe for success.  It is a group effort and everyone has a role to play.

What I saw and how I saw it:

 Old Wizard
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Felines on a Frozen Morning
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Searching for Something Special
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Men at Work
© 2012 Mark Eaton


The Catch
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Field Work
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Harvested Cabbage
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Time for a Break
© 2012 Mark Eaton


Labor of Love
© 2012 Mark Eaton

I enjoyed an intimacy with the land and with the people that my vocabulary can't describe adequately.

No comments:

Post a Comment